Zhane Rice Cummings:Star Member of KYA

KYA is one of butler’s most prominent but underrated programs. It’s often overlooked but this is a good opportunity to put it into the spotlight. KYA is a 3-day program that allows students to experience a simulation of government. It provides students with the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of issues, develop articulate their beliefs while engaging constructively with their peers. If you have ever been interested in law and wanted to understand how our govt. discuss issues or if you’re just looking for something interesting to do, then this is the perfect program for you.

Zhane Zakirya Shavon Rice Cummings is one of KYAs most invested members. She was born in Louisville KY on 11/12/2000. Like most she joined KYA to have her voice heard in government and represent the people often ignored. Zhane has always had a heart for the people and a political awareness since 8th grade. She always been aware of the countless victims of injustice in an unfair system pitted against them. However, she never had the microphone to speak up for them. As she grew older, she started to develop her beliefs more clearly and become a more articulate speaker. Thanks to KYA she now has the experience and ability to fight for what she believes in.
Zhane plans to major in law to provide justice for those unprotected and hold the ones in power accountable for their actions. One of the major issues she wans to fixing the criminal justice system. Zhane wants to help put light on criminal justice issues and protect the people negatively affected by it.  Helping criminals get a second chance in life after they served their sentence and parole and reforming the abusive system of prisons is her main goal.
After high school Zhane plans on going to JCTC and transferring to UOFL. Her major in law is her main reasoning for attending UOFL for their quality law courses. She’s a A/B student with a strong academic standing in Butler. She also participates in other activities such as BSU (black student union). Marching band and Track and field. She’s a very active student and is a prime example of butler pride.
She thanks her family for shaping her to the person she is today. An ambitious, intelligent, and courageous person. She lives by their words of wisdom of not believing the hype of social media, people opinions about her and to always be kind, do what’s right and always find peaceful ways to solve a solution. People like Zhane are the type of people that join KYA and if you have a strong ambition to change the world for the better, then I highly recommend joining!
Q – What are your favorite hobbies?
A – “Listening to music and playing on my Xbox One”
Q – Who are your biggest role models?
A – Malcolm X, MLK, Angela Davis, Obama, grandma, and my dad”
Q – How is your family life? Childhood?
A – “My childhood was sweet and joyful, and I was always in the playground”
Q – What are some of your family traditions?
A – “We travel down south in the summer to meet the other side of my family”
Q – Where do you see yourself in the future?
A – “I see myself as successful entrepreneur and I plan on having a family, but I don’t know when”
Q – What do you think sets you apart from other people?
A – “I don’t follow others and I love just being myself while also warming people’s hearts with my crazy laugh”
Q – How do you think others perceive you?
A – “Loud, crazy, sarcastic, friendly, caring, and different.”
Q – What advice would you give to people who want to join KYA?
A – “It’s an amazing way to get involved in government and the community. You meet new people and learn new opportunities to do with your life.