The Girl Behind the Mic: Kayla Duffie

At Butler, you come across many unique students, but there is one in particular that stands out from the rest. Senior Kayla Duffie is described by her peers as kind, outgoing, and fearless. Her strive to be successful has her involved in many activities both in and out of school. With her hard work ethic and desire to make a name for herself, Kayla has what it takes to make it far in this life.
There are many things Kayla is passionate about, but singing is one thing she pours much of her time into. Since sixth grade, Kayla has been involved in choir. For the past seven years, she has put her heart and soul into her music.

Here at Butler, Kayla is involved in Concert Choir, and also serves as one of the Choir Council Presidents. This is her first year singing as an alto, after being a soprano for so long. Her presence is a highly important aspect to the choir. The family type bond the group has created has made her time in the class most enjoyable.
So, why music?
“Music is something that has helped me through rough times to encourage me to move forward,” Kayla shared. “It has shaped me to be a more positive and upbeat person overall.” Alessia Cara’s “Scars to Your Beautiful” has proven to leave an impact on this up and coming musician. The song shows that even though you have scars and wounds from past hurts, you can still be you. You can still be beautiful. When life gets tough, Kayla knows she can turn to music to calm her and bring her peace. Artists like Jessie J, Alicia Keys, Halsey, Newsboys, Lecrae, and Andy Mineo have also been a source of inspiration for her in times of trouble.
Depression and anxiety threatened to plague her happiness, but Kayla proved to come out of the battle stronger. Music has helped Kayla overcome many obstacles in her life. But also, many staff members at Butler have been a source of wisdom and life for Kayla. Mr. Monsma, her choir director, has helped her step out of the comfort zone she was in and push her limits. Mrs. Cook has encouraged Kayla with her bright personality. “I appreciate her for being so straight forward.” Kayla commented. Also, Coach Dandy is truly a special link to Kayla’s success. “He has been taking notes on when I’m in a good mood or bad mood, but he always knows how to cheer me up by making a joke.” To these individuals Kayla shares, “I just want to say thank you to all of you because you have helped me to be me.”
Kanye West once said “I refuse to accept other people’s ideas of happiness for me. As if there’s a one size fits all standard for happiness.” This quote is one that Kayla abides by. It reflects the attitude she has toward life. Her determination and drive to succeed keeps her persevering each and every day. She has proven that when life gets tough, she has the tools to get out of the sadness and despair. Her happiness is most important to her.
Currently, Kayla’s schedule consists of English, Creative Writing, Honors Spanish II, Choir, Psychology, Honors Political Science, and Algebra II. On top of these classes, she takes a biology class through Campbellsville University’s dual credit program. With such a demanding course load, Kayla still manages to maintain an impressive 3.8 GPA. Her plans for next year include going to college and majoring in Psychology/Social Work. She intends to be a counselor for younger children who don’t necessarily have a voice and who have been through things children shouldn’t have to go through. Although she hasn’t decided on which college she plans to attend, Georgetown College, EKU, and Campbellsville are on her list.
Outside of school, Kayla has a pretty busy life. She works at McAllister’s Deli, and is heavily involved at her church. On Sundays and Mondays, she helps teach and tutor the younger children in her church. She also participates in Deborah Academy, which is a dance, sing, and theater group. She is described as a laid back individual with the heart and desire to succeed.
High school has proven to be both a time for growth, and a time of memories. As a freshman, Kayla didn’t make her voice known. Now with only a few months left at Butler, she isn’t afraid to speak her mind and be herself. During her four years here, she has met many people who have left an impact on her life. From her best friend to teachers who support her unconditionally, she has been able to walk the halls every day and feel welcomed.
High school is a time for finding yourself before heading out into the adult world. So make the best of it. “School may seem hard or like a long, drawn out process for some. But no matter what, never give up,” Kayla shares to her fellow classmates. “Achieve your dreams, and don’t listen to the negative. The only person you truly need to worry about at the end of the day is you.” Don’t let these days’ pass you by. You have the opportunity to make a difference in this world. Use high school as a time to do just that!
Kayla has proven to be a vital piece to Butler’s community. Her outgoing, bright, and caring personality don’t go unnoticed. As graduation draws near, make sure you get to know this talented young woman. You just might be talking to a future star.