Why Join Guitar Class

Guitar is a fairly new class offered here at Butler. Last school year was its grand debut, but this year you can bet there are many new improvements to this lovely group, including musical expert Mr. McCoy. Here is an interview with the man himself, along with a guitar class veteran to get you to know them, their interests, and their opinion on why you should join! A

lex McCoyM.N: How do you feel about teaching a guitar class for the first time this year? Do you think it’ll be a challenge? A.M: I’m ecstatic about teaching guitar this year! I’ve always wanted to teach guitar and now that I’ve finally been given the chance, I’m really enjoying it. I think it will be a challenge, but I’m always up for that. My primary instrument is the trombone so teaching a totally new instrument is exciting! M.N: What do you like about the class so far? A.M: The classes so far have been great! My students have made the most out of an unusually small classroom and come everyday with a learning attitude. M.N: What got you into wanting to be apart of the music world? What’s your story? A.M: I have always been drawn towards music. My uncle is a professional drummer and got me started playing the trombone in the 5th grade. I took off from there, spending most of my free time practicing (clearly I was a REALLY cool 7th grader). I played a ton in high school, performing in Honor Bands at the state and national levels. At one point I played 1st trombone in the Honor Band of the United States of America, an amazing experience! I then went on to attend the University of Cincinnati, College-Conservatory of Music. At CCM, I got my Music Education Degree. At the start, I actually just wanted to be a professional trombonist. However, my sophomore year, I developed a neuro-muscular disorder called Task Specific Focal Embouchure Dystonia. Long story short, my face would not do what I needed to play the trombone, ending any dream I had of playing professionally. It was then that I seriously began to consider teaching. As I started focusing all my energy into being a teacher, I fell in love with it more than I thought possible and also relearned how to play! I graduated school and taught for a year at Thomas Nelson High School in Bardstown, KY where I taught ALL of the Performing Arts classes. I’m extremely lucky to be at Butler this year! Nick Broda: M.N: This is your second time taking this class, what made you want to take it again? N.B: As an intermediate guitarist, I want to help beginners get a head start into the wonderful instrument that is the guitar. M.N: How long have you been playing the guitar? What are some challenges you faced learning it? N.B: I have been playing for three years. The challenges I faced while learning guitar was that I had no knowledge of music theory. M.N: What kind of music do you listen to? N.B: I listen to rock music mostly, bands like Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin. M.N: What artists inspire you? What do they mean to you? N.B: The musician that got me into guitar was Eddie Van Halen. What he managed to do with the guitar completely opened my eyes to how powerful music is. M.N: How has music impacted your life? N.B: Music has impacted my life in a very sentimental way. It’s like a second language. I know how to say things that I can’t commute with English or my thoughts. It’s like opening a door to a new universe. It’s nuts. M.N: What do you have to say to your fellow classmates about learning the guitar? N.B: If you’re trying to learn guitar, learn to read tabs and chord charts, and build finger endurance and strength. Besides that, listen to other genres of music, like blues, jazz, reggae, etc. The broader your musical perspective is, the better your musical ability will be. The guitar may seem like an intimidating instrument at first, but once you get to know it and explore its wonders you to will fall in love with its melodies. If you’re interested in this class give it a try! Soon you’ll be shredding like a pro.