Engineering and Robotics

Many people are unaware of the new robotics and engineering program at butler. These new and interesting classes are taught by Mr. Jonny Sewell. Mr. Sewell has a master’s degree in career and technical education and a bachelor’s Degree in industrial engineering. He is a former industrial engineer and has taught engineering at 4 other high schools. He now teaches sophomores, juniors, and seniors here at butler and works with his wife Mrs. Renee Sewell, sophomore counselor, who has worked here for two years.

In the short time Mr. Sewell has been at Butler he has done a lot to make sure students thrive in his classes. Such as working with Alumni Association to get donations to buy new computers, requesting to buying robots, and purchasing state of the art software.
Engineering is a very useful class. In this course you learn the foundation of engineering and ways to think and act like a true engineer. Students use real engineering software such as inventor to create and design products and make design briefs over those products.

Robotics is also intriguing course. Students use problem solving skills to create programs to make their robots do task they assign them. Much like real world programmers, students use LEGO software to create codes  and test these codes in class. Students program their robots to complete Adventure Island missions  for a robotics competition .  Robots are given the task of completing 17 missions in  two and a half minutes.
I was given the chance to interview Mr. Sewell about his courses and ask him what he thought about them. These were his responses.

Q: What exactly is engineering?
A: Students dig deep into the engineering design process, applying math, science, and engineering standards to hands-on projects like designing a new product or improving an existing product.
Q: Do you believe this class with benefit students?
A: I believe all the courses in the Engineering Program will benefit students here at Butler. Butler students now have classes to take that will complement the Core Academic Courses while exposing them to Engineering. There have always been Butler students that have had or have met the qualifications for Engineering Schools like U oF L’s “Speed School of Engineering”. A number of them have attended Speed School and have gone on to great careers. Unfortunately, those Butler Grads did not get the chance to be introduced to engineering classes in high school. Mr. Allen and the Alumni Association saw the need for our students and through their dedication and determination, they have made Butlers Engineering Program possible this year.
Q: What kind of projects do your students do in class?
A: Most projects are hands-on projects that test the student’s ability to use their Core Academic successes with problem-solving. For example, students get opportunities to apply Math, Science and English skills that they already learned that can be connected to real-world applications.
Q: What will Students learn in this class?
A: My goal is to expose students to “Engineering Foundations” so he or she can make an educated decision about the type of “Engineer Field” that fits their interests.
Q: What will you hope that students will have accomplished by the end of your class?
A: Students will learn a lot about how and why Engineering is part of their everyday lives.
They will learn how to use math and science in ways they may not have thought of in the past.
They will learn how to Programming Robots, Problem Solve, Autodesk Inventor and
Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering concepts to name a few.
Q: What do you like about teaching this class?
A: My favorite thing about teaching these courses is when I see a student struggling with a problem and ready to throw in the towel. I really appreciate the time they keep trying and they discover a solution and a “Light Bulb” comes on. Sometimes it’s the first time they connect academic work with real-world scenarios.
Mr. Sewell  teaches 4 engineering classes and 3 robotics classes every day. Through out these classes many students are taking both courses. Many students that take both classes enjoy them.
I had the opportunity to interview Edward Dornbusch, a Senior in both engineering and robotics, about why he chose to take these classes. These were his responses.
Q: Why did you enroll in engineering and  robotics?
A: I wish to continue in the engineering field and this class gives me a head start in this field. I plan to enroll in the Kyfam Program to be a manufacturer.
Q: What do you like about engineering?
A: I like that engineering is fun and has challenging task that can be solve in different ways. I like how I can solve things in at my own pace and in ways that I choose.
Q: What do you like about robotics?
A: I like that physically building the robots is easy and you can be fun and creative while constructing them.
Q: What about these courses are challenging  to you?
A: Programing our robots to do exactly what we want them to is difficult. They don’t always cooperate the way they should.
Q: Which course do you feel is more enjoyable?
A:I believe that engineering is more enjoyable because it can help in future engineering careers .
Q: Which course is more challenging?
A: I think robotics is harder due to the fact that you have to get programs precise in order for them to preform correctly.