Ms. Lynn Lewis: Making an Impact

Ms. Lynn Lewis: Making an Impact

While some people look forward to graduating and leaving Butler, Mrs. Lewis couldn’t wait to come back. After 27 years, in 2015 she hung her administrative cap and retired. Missing her connections with both students and staff, she soon found herself back within the halls of Suda E. Located in Office B, she now serves as a part time clerk, working with our assistant principals and student caregivers. But she’s more than just “another woman behind a desk”. She has an amazing story that is definitely worth sharing.

Mrs. Lewis was born in Charleston, West Virginia – the capital and largest city in the state. After spending most of her upbringing there, her family relocated to Louisville at the beginning of her sixth grade year. In contrast to her hometown, Louisville was much larger! Also, there were plenty of interstates which you could drive fast on that Charleston didn’t have. She attended Highland Middle and graduated from Atherton High School. Her next step was to pack up her belongings and move seventeen hours away to attend Colorado State University, where she began working on a theatre arts major. After being involved with theatre, she found herself wanting to work behind the scenes, but soon switched gears and focused on psychology. Returning to Louisville, she married and had two children – Katherine and Adam.
In 1988, Mrs. Lewis began her career within the public school system in Oldham County. She was a kindergarten assistant and counselor assistant. Shortly after, she became a lunchroom manager. Due to unforeseen circumstances, she and her family found themselves back in Jefferson County. She stepped foot in Highland Middle once again as a counselor’s assistant, records clerk, and ordering and receiving clerk. She also was trained as the school’s backup attendance clerk and secretary.
Those experiences allowed Mrs. Lewis to be hired on at Audubon Traditional Elementary, where she served as a full time secretary and ordering and receiving clerk. During this time, she decided to return to college and earn her bachelor’s degree in psychology.
Next, she moved to JCPS’ central office as the secretary to the Director of Compliance and Investigations. Six months later, she advanced to secretary of the Assistant Superintendent for Equity and Poverty. After finishing her degree, Mrs. Lewis was hired on as the Youth Service Center (YSC) coordinator for Johnson Traditional Middle, which resulted in her landing here at Butler.
When she began working at Butler, she was flooded with memories. She once shared those same experiences: walking from class to class, chatting with friends, struggling through last night’s homework, rushing to make it to first period on time. She knew what it was like. Butler felt like a home. “I remember thinking what a great future I was looking into,” Mrs. Lewis shared. “and all the opportunities I had available to make the world a better place.”

Whether it’s simply talking to a student in need, or lending them a York Peppermint Patty (which she keeps on her desk daily), Mrs. Lewis looks to spread her kindness to everyone she comes in contact with. Both teachers and students can find themselves comforted by her advice and contagious smile. Senior Arianna Hirschauer is grateful for Mrs. Lewis’ openness and gentle heart. “When you need someone to talk to, you know you can go to the office and speak with her.” she shared. “She is very encouraging, and lightens the mood by making you laugh.”
In an age where technology consumes our everyday lives, we often forget about an important opportunity we are granted. Mrs. Lewis’ advice for students is to never stop learning. “Always look for something new to add to your wealth of knowledge.” she adds. At Butler, we have some of the best teachers in the state! Welcome their teaching every single day. Your life will greatly benefit from the constant growth of your mind and opportunities.
With the hustle and commotion in our constantly busy lives, we often find ourselves filled with stress. Homework, tests, friends, family, relationships, work, etc. are all things we try to pile into a twenty four hour day. But one thing we must remember is to not give up. Working with Butler students seven hours a day proves to Mrs. Lewis that life is cyclical and will continue. Despite the kind of day you had yesterday, there is always going to be a new one tomorrow. So don’t focus on the negative, but find the good within all that you do.
Mrs. Lewis describes herself as a “pretty basic person”. Her personality is very easy going. “Stress is way overrated,” she shared. “I look forward to the air I breathe every day and what I’m going to learn new.” When she isn’t at Butler, she finds many other ways to occupy her time. She loves to read—thrillers and mysteries are her favorites! She enjoys going to the movies, travelling, and listening to music as well.
Mrs. Lewis’ favorite quote comes from  the great John Lennon: “Life is what happens while you’re making other plans.” She likes to “go with the flow” and take things as they come. Life can fly by in the blink of an eye, so it’s important not to waste it. Sweating the small stuff, or constantly being busy can take you away from the beauty of life
Every student has the ability to succeed. Mrs. Lewis looks to help clear the path to that future. “I like to work with each person to discover what might be interfering with their learning  process, and what to do to move around that.” she commented. With her helping hand and kind heart, Mrs. Lewis looks to make an impact on this world and within our school walls. One student at a time, she sets her sights on best benefiting them in both their academic and social lives. If you ever need to talk to someone, her ears are always open. She will gladly listen to you and offer advice or wisdom if needed. Mrs. Lewis is one of the most genuine, down to earth, and caring people you will ever meet. So while you are here at Butler, don’t miss your chance to talk to this incredible woman. You WILL NOT regret it. ​