School Spirit (By: Erin Templeman)

School spirit is something many people have. Many of our athletes here at Butler show it. Whether it’s scoring the winning goal, touchdown, run, or point we all show it.  This means a lot to athletes. Getting support from students is important. Especially when it’s a good game. Many athletes get that scoring mentality from the student sections energy. Many students at Butler are not athletes but still show school spirit. Below is 3 students who show school spirit.

Felicity Wedding
Felicity is a junior here at Butler and is currently on the cheer squad. I asked her the following questions:
Q: What is school spirit and what does it mean to you?
A: School spirit means a lot to me, I love walking down the hallways and feeling the positive vibes! Especially spirit week, we have a full week to come together as a student body and show each other our version of school spirit.
Q: How important is school spirit to athletes?
A: As an athlete we work so hard each and every day to keep our heads in the game, the plays and the routines, and focus on our team. If we have bad days and we know we are having a bad day, we rely on our student section to “hype and keep the spirit” up.  It’s an amazing feeling knowing you have hundreds of people on your side and cheering for you.
Q: If you could give advice about school what would it be?
A: it would be that everyone should participate, and just have fun. Like high school goes by so quick and you should just make the best of it.
Q: What has your favorite student section theme been? Any suggestions?
A: I have two favorite student section themes. The first one is the “luau “ theme. It’s so fun seeing everyone dress comfortably and goofy all at the same time. Guys always wear the swimming trunks and button up short sleeve with Hawaiian patterns on it, grass skirts and lei’s. And the girls always wear cute tops and cargo shorts and glitter as “highlight” and everyone brings floats, and as a cheerleader we get to wear “lei’s “also. My second favorite theme is camo. It’s great seeing people with face paint/ bandannas and all camo with hunting gear on, and we have some people wear the full body suits and the look like a bush
Q: How does the energy of the student section help athletes?
A: The energy of the student section determines how athletes play or perform. As a cheerleader, if we have a student section “booing “ or not being very positive , we can feel the vibes and it affects us mentally as we perform. Football players and basketball players (etc.) when they are on the court or field they need to hear us cheering them on and give that positive vibe! It hypes us up and really keeps us going and pushing through that routine or that play. We need people like the student section to back us up, and always keep a “PVO” mindset #PositiveVibesOnly.

Trey Benz
Trey is a junior here at Butler and is on the baseball team. I asked him the following questions:
A: It means to be supportive of your school and to be a part of all the home games.
A: Honestly, school spirit can change a game because if the crowds hyped then the team playing loses focus and our team gets the energy form the crowd.
Q: If you could give advice about school spirit to athletes?
A: My advice would be you make sure you have fun, because high school goes by so fast and you don’t want to regret not being a part of that. #ShowUpAndShowOut

Halle McNeil
Halle is a freshmen here at butler and is currently on the cheer squad. I asked her the following questions about school spirit:
A: School spirit is showing appreciation for your school or activities. School spirit to me is interacting with school activities may it be supporting or being involved
A: School spirit means the world to athletes because it keeps them motivated and gives them energy.
A: My advice is to always try and support your athletes and to get to know the activity.
A: My favorite student section theme was the USA theme because people had gone all out with paint and glasses etc. I would recommend a superhero theme.
A: The energy of the student section really helps the athletes because pumps them up and makes games more fun.
She also added that the cheerleaders like it when we come to the games because then they actually have a crowd to do cheers with and not just the bleachers.