Honoring those who have served

Back to Article
Back to Article

Honoring those who have served

Olivia Patterson

Schools spend the holiday honoring veterans on November 11th, but Butler Traditional High School goes above and beyond. The JROTC program, music and choir departments all band together to produce one of the best Veterans Day programs the city has ever seen. It is the brainchild of Colonel Woodburn, one of the leaders of the JROTC program.

It all starts with getting students and faculty to invite the veterans that they know to attend the function at Butler. Next, the gym is used for a parade of the veterans followed by concerts performed by both the band and by Butler’s award-winning Choir. Mr. Allen the Principal, shares a speech along with the annual reading of “VET”. Not to mention the successful students and amazing veterans that help makes for quite the event.
The veterans are escorted by members of their families and students in the JROTC program. After the program, food is served to all the veterans and attendees. While all this is going on at school, the rest of the JROTC program has their own job. They participate in the Louisville Veterans Parade downtown.

As part of the traditional program here at Butler, students are taught the values of patriotism and citizenship. This holiday gives them the opportunity to display what they have learned to the city and beyond. When asked how he felt about being honored in the program, one veteran remarked, “This was the closest thing to a parade I have ever been able to participate in since I returned from Vietnam.” Many came from all over to attend this special event including one person who travelled 600 miles to participate; not to mention someone who came from California to be apart of one of the most special events at Butler.

This year was the first year the event was live streamed on YouTube allowing the veterans who could not attend to see the performances and speeches. Needless to say, it was a great experience for everyone involved and next year the program will only get better.