Football Battles Through Injuries, Tough Schedule

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bethany Houchin

A year after going 7-3 and advancing to the Regional Semifinals, the Butler football team faced adversity in many different forms. The squad lost many starters to college football, two quarterbacks to injury and facing 7 teams in the top 25 in the state. All of these hurdles add up to a disappointing record of 4-6 heading into the postseason.

The Bears were forced to retool their potent offense early in the season after quarterback Chaz Burks went down with an injury. Freshman Kenyon Goodin filled in great in his first varsity action only to be injured in practice and forced to sit out 4 weeks. This forced Jaylon Forbes into action as the Bears starting QB. Couple these injuries with some on defense to leading tacklers Sam Porter and Ciatti Farley and many Bears saw their first varsity action. Nonetheless, the squad still has produced the 8th ranked passing offense and 18th ranked defense in the state.

We talked to Senior Sam Porter about the injuries and adversity the Bears have faced this year, he responded, “I think it has been a big challenge, this year our depth isn’t that deep this year. So you have young guys making mistakes and being forced to grow up quickly as freshman. I think we have had a rough ride this year, me being injured too.  Through it all if I can play I will bc I can’t leave my team out to dry, because I know they wouldn’t do that to me.”

This season also marked a realignment in the districts, seeing perennial powerhouse and rival, Male, moved out of the district. The Bears finished 3rd in their district after falling to St. Xavier and Manual while defeating rival PRP.  The PRP victory was a dogfight on a rain-soaked Friday night at Butler that saw many turnovers and a nail-biter of a finish capped off with an interception and touchdown to seal it by Darius Jones.

The reliable offensive force for the Bears is wide receiver Jordan Watkins. After sitting out almost half of last season, Watkins has come on to lead the Bears in scoring, and has done it many ways: rushing TDs, receiving TDs, a return TD and passing TD. He has caught the interest of the nation, being ranked as high as 3 star by many different recruiting services.

Butler looks to be clicking on all cylinders in the postseason as they will travel to district rival St. Xavier. The Bears faced them on October 18th, falling 42-6. It will be quite the postseason test for Butler who will possibly face the 5th and 4th ranked teams in the state in rounds 1 and 2. One thing is for certain, the Bears will not go down without a fight, these seniors aren’t ready to end their high school careers. Come on out and cheer them on, the road starts November 8th, 7:30 at St Xavier High School.